No Excuses; Go Public

It is important to write your goals down and let others know of your intentions. The act of writing down as well as talking about your goals makes them more a part of your reality. The more you can see and recite your goals, the more steadily they move from your subconscious into your awareness. Writing and talking about your goals will also increase your accountability and motivation for achieving them. A client of mine had this to say after qualifying to compete in the Track and Field World Championships: “I had to make it to Worlds. I told everyone I knew that I was going to make it; that alone made me work harder, because I didn’t want to let myself or anyone else down.” In Chapter 8, I will ask you to spend a couple of minutes writing your goals down. I also urge you to talk about them with other people. Let others know what your goals are, and then use the accountability that results to more fully commit to achieving your greatest aspirations. I have worked with a certain football player for more than four years. When I first met him, he was going into his senior year of high school, and he was reputed to be one of the top linebackers in the St. Louis area. When he came into my office, I was surprised, because he seemed to be undersized. It took only a few minutes with this young man for me to realize how it was that size—or speed, for that matter—wouldn’t slow him down. When I asked him if he was big enough to play at the next level, his response was, “Do you know what Coach John Wooden says about excuses?” Although I am familiar with the famous UCLA basketball coach and his work, I played along: “What does Coach Wooden say about excuses?” He replied, “Never make excuses. Your friends won’t need them, and your foes won’t believe them.” Although this young man was not remarkably big, strong, or fast, he more than made up for his deficiency through attitude and accountability. He refused to make excuses, because, he said, “excuses stop me from getting better.” Even though making excuses is normal, Coach Wooden and this young football player know whereof they speak. Excuses promote underachieving. If you have an excuse (even if it’s a good one) for falling short of your goals, you render it much more probable that you will continue to achieve less. If, instead, you adopt a no-excuses approach, you will nurture the accountability needed for eventually accomplishing your goals. That football player is a perfect example of the power of never using excuses. Although he was twenty pounds small for his position and not especially fast, he worked hard enough to earn a Division I partial scholarship and is currently a cocaptain of his team. He has a new goal of playing professional football, and knowing him, I’m sure he will find a way to make it happen. I encourage every client I have to adopt the no-excuses mentality. I also prod my clients to go public about not making excuses. Telling others about the no-excuses mentality reinforces your likelihood of eschewing excuses in your life. Every time you talk to someone about not accepting excuses, you imprint the no-excuses mentality on your conscious mind. Talking about something makes it more real. Going public with your goals and your no-excuses approach to them makes you more apt to put the needed energy into overcoming obstacles and achieving your goals, even those you may initially fall short of reaching. By letting other people know your intentions, you exert a little more pressure on yourself to be accountable. I believe that accountability is one of the most positive character traits a person can possess. If you hold yourself accountable to reaching your expectations, you position yourself to ultimately bask in the glory of success.

Aucun commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.