Creating Your Identity Statement

I encourage athletes to create a two-part identity statement. The first part indicates a strength you currently have or want to have. Be sure the strength you choose to accentuate makes achieving success more likely. For example, your strength might be that you are a really hard worker. Whether it is already true or is something that you want to be true, the first part of your identity statement might be “I am the hardest worker on the team.” The second part of your identity statement addresses what you want to accomplish. It is OK to stretch a bit here. According to research on affirmations, the more imposing the desired task, the more impact it will have on the self-image. Frame both parts of your identity statement as though the objectives have already been achieved. In this way, you own your self-image in the here and now. A straightforward way to do this is to start each half of your identity statement with “I am . . .” Remember what we know about self-image: you cannot achieve your goals and dreams until your current self-image reflects your ability to do so. My own personal identity statement is “I am more motivated than my competition; I am the most effective sport psychology consultant in the world.” When I say, “I am more motivated than my competition,” that mostly means that I will outwork any of my peers and that I will always find a way to help my clients. I love what I do, I love to help people, and I am 100 percent committed to doing whatever it takes to help my clients reach their goals. I believe that the level of care I provide is directly related to my goal of reaching supreme effectiveness. When I say, “I am more motivated” and “I am the most effective sport psychology consultant in the world,” I am obliging myself to draw a bead on how I want things to be. By pointing myself toward how I want reality to be, I impel myself to do whatever is needed to make it come about. Once you create your identity statement, commit to using it. Completing your mental workout daily will be invaluable in this regard, and if you repeat your identity statement every time you catch yourself having thoughts of negativity or self-doubt, eventually your self-image will begin to shape the reality you desire. This is hard work, but it is doable. To create your identity statement, answer the following questions: 1. What is the foremost strength you possess (or want to possess) that proves you can achieve greatness? (Example: “I am more motivated than my competition.”) What do you ultimately hope to accomplish in your sport? (Example: “I am the most effective sport psychology consultant in the world.”) 3. Put both parts together, assuring that you use the present tense. (Example: “I am more motivated than my competition; I am the most effective sport psychology consultant in the world.”) This is your identity statement. Examples of Identity Statements ▶ Baseball. I am the hardest worker on the team; I am a dominant major-league hitter. ▶ Basketball. I am intelligent and I know this game better than anyone; I am the most prolific scorer on the court. ▶ Football. I am fast and strong; I am the most powerful running back in the league. ▶ Golf. I am more mentally and physically prepared than my competition; I am a dominant professional golfer. ▶ Gymnastics. I am a hard worker, and I have what it takes; I am a world-class gymnast. ▶ Wrestling. I am talented, and I work hard; I am unstoppable in competition.

Aucun commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.